
Jay's surgery was a success last Thursday, and as usual we've had little time to update the blog! We went up to Landstuhl Tuesday evening for his Wednesday am appointment, while Hayden got to have a little getaway with one of his favorite families, the Bakers! Jay took care of all his pre-surgery stuff while I got to sleep in a little (!) and then we spent the day at Ramstein. We had a fun lunch, we shopped, we GOT TO SEE A MOVIE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY. For most of you, this doesn't mean much. But for those of you that live here in Germany and NOT at Ramstein, you know how special this is. First off all, with both of us working usually the only thing that happens in the middle of the day is just that ...working. And the occasional lunch date. Also, our movie theater is open Wed-Sun, and only has day time showing on the weekends. Those day shows are typically for the kids, so the fact that Jay and I could watch the remake of Nightmare on Elm Street at 130 on a Wednesday is just amazing. It's the little things :-) We also followed up the evening with a wonderful dinner at Macaroni Grill, where we split a steak and lobster ravioli. We kind of forget what it's like to be able to have a whole day to ourselves, and to have a date!
Thursday morning came too soon, and Jay had to be at the hospital at 615. We checked him in, and he immediately was called back to prep. Unfortunately in the Army climate of "hurry up and wait", his prep didn't actually take place for two more hours. Then he had ANOTHER two hours to wait for surgery. Waiting, for the record, is awful. I will say I didn't shed a single tear...until they actually wheeled him back for surgery. It was set to last over 2 hours, so I headed to the KMCC to shop my worries away. I picked up lunch, some things for Jay and Hayden and even myself (!) and went back to the hospital. I finished one book and started another whilst in the waiting room, since the surgery took over three hours.

Finally someone came to get me and tell me Jay was in recovery and that I could see him. He was a little drugged still, but feeling good. We spent the rest of the day hanging out in his room, watching movies and relaxing. I finally left him around 10pm to check in my room, which was a disaster but I made it through the night, no thanks to the hotel staff. Believe I got my room comped, after a hotel employee expected me to sleep in my room with the KEY STUCK OUTSIDE IN THE DOOR. Where any crazy person could come in and kill me in my sleep. Garbage. Housekeeping also gave me a rude awakening at 7am by walking in and turning on the light. Did I say she knocked? Because she most certainly did NOT. Nevertheless. I survived.
Jay started his discharge from the hospital at around 9am, was up and walking around well, but we didn't get on the road until almost 4pm. What a long few days we had! But we picked up our filthy dog, our sweet baby boy and headed home sweet home.
We're back to adjusting, this time to dad who isn't supposed to lift more than 10 lbs and Hayden who does not care for this new rule. Everyone is doing well, Oscar included. Work is crazy because we just launched our new, paperless system for customer service. It's AWESOME but almost like starting over, so I've learned a lot this week. Hayden has unfortunately picked up the dreaded hand-foot-mouth from the daycare center, but is a happy little guy as always.
We go back to Landstuhl for a 10-day follow up on Monday and a six week follow up at the end of June, but for now Jay just gets to relax and heal! We are so grateful that he is not returning to Afghanistan and will have time to fully recover from an injury that should have been taken care of two years ago.
No comments:
Post a Comment