Friday, October 17, 2008

Crazy? I might be

So I'm having a huge internal debate about getting an epidural when Hayden makes his entrance. If I were in the states, the question would be less difficult, and I would just make the judgment call when I needed to. But here it's different.

Most of my friends who have delivered in Germany and have had an epidural say that the pain was only slightly dulled, and that basically it was turned off at "crunch time". I know that the epidural basically slows down labor, and the Germans are nothing if not efficient. My friends who have had babies stateside speak lovingly of their epidurals, that allowed them to only feel a slight pressure when the baby was delivered.

By now you probably also know I have a fear and hatred of needles. I was never a huge fan of the idea of a giant needle being pushed into my spine. Now I'm starting to think that it's a risky procedure that just may not be worth it if when I need it most, it's turned off. I think it will turn out to be a decision I make in the moment, but for right now I think I'm going to try it without the epidural, and see how it goes. Then again, the best laid plans of mice and men...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you already know my (admittedly untested) opinion of this, but I say go without. Maybe the German epidural is different than the dosage usually given in the States, but anything that would leave you hanging at the end seems not worth it to me. And assuming a conked-out epidural happens, without the gradual building of pain and endorphins for dealing with it, it'll be way worse at the end without them. Not to mention the slowing everything down and semi-dangerous-for Hayden parts.

Besides, when have you purposely slowed ANYthing down, Ceese? :) You're too much of a feisty lady for that to happen. I feel it's more you to go full-speed.

Anonymous said...

You HATE needles. It is definitely a Jessica thing to do to defy the laws of commonality to rise above and show pain who's boss (while we will always know that the boss is, indeed, Tony Danza. DUH!). So getting back to the needle in the back debate - I say that you will bear down and it'll be over. That baby is ready to make his grand entrance and you will be so happy to have him "home" that it'll be over in a snap! Personally,my hatred of needles also superseeds any desire to have the epi when the blessed day comes that I have another version of my beloved husband coming into the world :) I'd take the pain because the end result is definitely worth it. Do what you feel is best. Sending positive baby energy your way :) Love you :)