Thursday, April 9, 2009

Parenting

To me, about 95% of parenting is subjective. I mean, the general ideas of not letting your kids play in traffic or run with scissors are universal. But how to feed them, how to diaper them, how they sleep, how they play, how you communicate with them...it's all subjective. There are theories and trends and patterns and suggestions but when it comes down to it, parents do what works for their babies and themselves.

Which is why today I received one of the best compliments I've ever gotten. I got to baby massage class a little early and talked to our instructor, Heidi for a few minutes. Hayden was slowly waking up from a catnap in his car seat. As we talked about babies and parenting, Heidi said to me, "You look like you just love being his mom." She was absolutely right. But it was one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me. We're always going to have opinions on how to raise our children and therefore how other people raise their children. But at the end of the day, I just love being his mom.

1 comment:

Mama Watts said...

Can't wait to see you being a mom. Hayden is soooo cute. Have a safe flight home. Call if you need anything.