Saturday, April 11, 2009

It was bound to happen

I have been thinking about this moment for approximately five months. I thought about how I'd tell people, how long it would take, how I would feel when it happened. Since I live in Europe, I thought about shouting it from the top of the Alps, but that somehow seems insufficient.

Last night, Hayden slept for SEVEN hours. It wasn't "through the night" but it was a far cry from "up every two hours". I put him down around 8:30 last night and I went to bed around 10:30. I fully expected him to wake up at 11:30 to eat. So imagine my surprise when I woke up after 3 this morning and realized he hadn't woken up yet. I checked on him to make sure he was still breathing, and went back to bed. He woke up a little later for a feeding, and went right back to sleep as usual. He woke up around 7, his normal wake-up time and is already back down for his morning nap. The time between naps gets progressively longer all day, but he's still a good day-sleeper.

Maybe it was because of our fun day yesterday! Hayden and I went to a BBQ at our friend Nina's house for Hayden's first outdoor adventure. Armed with sunscreen, shorts and his Carolina hat and blanket, Hayden had a blast! He loved the sunshine, even though it was a little bright. He played with other kids, rolled around on his blanket, even napped in his stroller for a bit. We stayed outside for a good few hours and I think Hayden is going to be hard to keep inside once he's mobile. Which is great because we have lots of fun plans for the spring and summer!

Today we're doing laundry, cleaning, taking Oscar to the farm and PACKING. Our big trip is just a couple of days away and there is still much to be done. We can't wait!

No comments: