I love being a parent. Specifically, I love being Hayden's parent. He is so energetic and full of life, so full of laughter and silliness. He is willful and independent and his own person at 2 years old. I learn new things from him every day and I love to watch how he handles challenges and obstacles. It's amazing to see his little brain working around a problem until he has a solution.
So it is no surprise to me that potty training is frustrating for us both. Some days, he's 50%. Others, he's 0%. Everything in between pretty much sums up daily life. Some days he comes home with three bags from school of dirty clothes; other days he's fine all day at school and loses it as soon as he walks in the door. What's a mom to do? We don't want to force him, or be too lax. We have M&Ms on the back of the toilet, we have a potty seat and a stool so he can decide "how" to go, we have a sticker chart and fun undies. We limit drinks at a certain point in the evening, and one day last week we sat in the bathroom at 6:30 am and I said "I don't care what time I get to work, we'll stay in here until you decide you're ready to potty." Luckily for me it was a Thursday and he knew Zoe would be at school and he didn't want to miss her.
Today, we have a victory. The war is not over, but in this conflict I need to win a battle or two here and there. He used the potty all day at school and came home with a special sticker. He was so proud of it! About an hour after he got home and had had his snack and juice, I convinced him to use the potty. Success! I'm hoping the bedtime potty routine is easier and more on his own decision making, but I'll take what I can get! Tomorrow is a new day and we'll keep trying!
2 comments:
are you doing pull ups at all or straight underware? Cameron and I will be potty training starting next month! I am scared and excited!
We do underwear all day and pull-ups at night. At Hayden's daycare they don't use pull-ups because they think they're confusing. We still use pull-ups for road trips but most of the time it's just undies! We do a TON of laundry though.
Post a Comment