Ten years ago I watched the world fall down. Ten years ago I hadn't gone through three deployments with the strongest women I would ever have the honor to meet. Ten years ago I hadn't yet met the men and women that would be this countries heroes, fighting in defense of the freedom we so carelessly guarded. Ten years ago I hadn't sat with a friend the same night she became a widow. Ten years ago I didn't have a son and a baby on the way who would always grow up on a world where terrorism was real. Ten years ago I didn't have to take my shoes off to fly.
Ten years and one day ago I stood and covered my heart every time I heard the national anthem. Ten years and one day ago I still remembered the words to the Pledge of Allegiance. Ten years and one day ago I still teared up every time I heard Lee Greenwood sing "God Bless the USA".
On this day as we pause for remembrance, let us not forget this solemn pride every day of the year. Let us forget the fear we felt ten years ago and only remember the fight we had in us to preserve our nation, our liberty, our freedom. Let us forget our division and remember only the solidarity we felt for the months after the attacks.
I will never forget where I was ten years ago. When I look back in another ten years, I will be proud of where and who I was today, ten years after 9/11.
1 comment:
Great post Jess. An inspiring and awestruck ten years it has been. Much like Jay and Hayden, I am lucky to have you in my life, friend.
Post a Comment