So Jay wanted to breed Onyx and I never say no to what he really wants. He and a guy that has a male pit got the two together and they did what they do. A few weeks later we saw belly hanging low and knew it was going to happen. We know nothing about breeding dogs btw.
Gestational periods for dogs are about two months so her due date was August 8. We did a little research to find out when and how and what so we wouldn't be caught off guard when it got here. She's been acting funny today and we knew it was coming.
She was really just nesting and not eating so that was a giveaway. I heard a noise so I went to check on her...nope. Just moving blankets in Oscar's crate. A few minutes later I checked again. Puppy!! Only, he wasn't doing so well. Not breathing. I had read some about what to do so I started rubbing him, Liz started googling and I called Jay home from work at 9. Did I mention we have a houseguest this week? Full of surprises.
Shortly after the first came the second and Onyx was doing all the right things. Cleaning, severing umbilical cords, eating the sac off, bonding. But boy was I happy that Jay was here before the third!!
Soon they started coming, one quickly after another and boy, girl, boy, girl until we had six in equally divided sex succession. After about two or three hours Jay went back to work and we tried to figure out what to do next. Then we realized we had seven. Another boy.
We were trying to figure out a plan when Liz counted again. Eight? Yup. This little lady.
We moved them upstairs and Onyx freaked out when we tried to separate her from them. So we made the bathroom comfortable and I am waiting for Jay to come home.
Except, there was another one. Nine. A girl. She broke the pattern but she also has a white belly and feet.
So now we take care of momma and puppies but she is doing so so well. And eight of the nine are blissfully sleeping after a big big day. Number nine has some catching up to do!!




No comments:
Post a Comment