Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Good days, bad days and everything in between

Life is such a roller coaster. Yesterday I was in a SUCH a foul mood. Nothing went right. Everything was annoying or irritating or extra work just to DEAL with it. Without any real good reason, any warning. I went for a Salem stroll around 3pm to get some air and a caffeinated beverage. What would have been really great turned sour when I realized I had SEVEN mosquito bites to show for my stroll. Well. Suck.

But I was determined to make it better. So I planned dinner in my head, reserved a Redbox movie and headed home at 5. Traffic was relatively clear and I stopped for a movie and wine. Came home to an excited Hayden and a puzzle-making Lila, made dinner and sent two kids to bed early for bad behavior. Good news? We got to start the movie at a decent time. Jay fell asleep but I (for once) stayed up and watched all of it (Noah).

This morning I woke up with a much better attitude, because a bad mood can't last forever. It was hard to leave my sleeping husband but my kids were in a fun mood so we headed out the door in a flood of giggles and fun.

Being a wife and a mom is hard. Doing it while working full time and commuting 30 minutes to an hour each way is even harder. I don't get as much time with my family as I would like. I love my job, I love my students, I love what I do. But balancing it all is tough. And let's not forget my friends, whose calls I miss and texts I get hours after they were sent. Time for myself? It's limited in all aspects. So sometimes, I just need to have a bad day. It makes the good days better. I told someone yesterday, I'm a generally positive person and try to find the good in most days. So when I have a bad day I feel like it hits me harder than the average bear. The trick is to remind myself it's OKAY to have a bad day and be a cranky pants and feel like the world is out to get me (it's not).

No comments: