Yesterday was my first day back to work. Because of the logistics of when I started this job, when it became full time and when my benefits started, I hadn't been a full-time, regular employee for a full year when Lila was born. This means I wasn't eligible for FMLA, or voluntary shared leave (where my coworkers could donate their leave to me). So I had four weeks of leave built up, and that was it. I could have taken leave without pay, but since I carry our insurance I would not only be without pay, but would owe GTCC for my insurance. This just didn't make sense for two weeks at home, so I decided to come back after four weeks. What helped with this decision was that Jay would be home with the kids, and I wasn't having to send Lila to daycare. I figure I got to spend a whole year at home with Hayden, and then had all the time when Jay was in training, in Afghanistan and in the field...so now he gets to spend similar time with Lila (and Hayden too).
We are still figuring out the logistics of how everything works, but we got off to a good start yesterday. I went to the doctor for my four-week check up and to get my paperwork. My appointment was at 9, I was at my desk by 10. Before I left the house I made sure Jay had a bottle to get her started, pumped milk defrosted, Hayden and Oscar situated and plans to come home at lunch. Right now I have it in my head that I can feed her before I leave, pump once at work, go home for lunch to feed her, pump again at work and be home for her late afternoon feeding. That worked yesterday and so far works today, we'll see how it goes! I didn't have a lot of these issues with Hayden since I didn't work for the first year, so it's a lot of learning for us. But we seem to be handling it okay.
I made it through the day without any tears. I think because she's home with Jay and right down the road it makes it a little easier. Next up? Get pictures of her in my office so I can see her sweet face all day!
No comments:
Post a Comment