Saturday, February 4, 2012

Shredded pork

We needed something different to eat the other night. I had pork chops and no idea what to do with them, but I was tired of everything I'd done recently. So I tossed them in the crock pot with some brown sugar, honey, garlic and pepper. I set them to low for 4-5 hours, and ran a bunch of errands. While I was out, I stopped at Country BBQ (my very favorite NC BBQ place) and picked up a pint of their BBQ sauce. I came home, shredded the pork, added the sauce and cooked on low another 30 minutes. Voila! Pulled pork, which tasted like my favorite restaurant's, but for a fraction of the price.

Hayden had gotten a package from our friends the Bakers in Germany, full of kid-friendly cooking utensils. So he helped me stir the sauce, prepare the potato wedges and even make the baked beans. I debated hush puppies, but that's a lot of work for what was a low-maintenance dinner. The best part? Leftovers!

No comments: