Friday, December 28, 2012

My sweet boy

It's weird. Hayden is four. He's been around for four whole years. Four years of diapers, then pull ups, then potty training and now big boy underwear. Breastfeeding and bottle feeding and solids and messes and now real silverware and taking his plate to the kitchen. Laying and rolling and crawling and walking and running and now dancing and skipping.

But it still strikes me just how much I can love him. Just when you think you've reached the limit of how much you can love someone, he does or says something else and my heart grows a little more. He is so intelligent and curious and oh-so-talkative. Question after question after question. And we try to feed that curiosity by answering all of them and teaching him as much as we can. I just love him to pieces, even after the 100th question, after reprimanding him for the same thing times ten, even with his stubborn streak.

It's hopelessly optimistic, but I hope he always loves his sister like he does now. He loves her without fail. Every day, when we go get her out of the crib he is SO excited to see her and talk to her and start her day. I love the way he runs into my room, tells me "I love you more than the moon mom" and runs back out. And how he stalls me at daycare every. single. day. for 'one more hug', 'one giant hug'. I love the way he begs for one more story at bedtime, and always wants some of my coffee.

It's hard to remember him as a baby, it seems like he's always been able to walk and talk and use a fork. But I love to remember his baby stories, and tell them to him so he can see we were just as excited about his baby milestones as we are about Lila's. I hope he always wants to hug and kiss his mom.

2 comments:

Priscilla said...

I just read this, and I have to say it is so sweet how you talk about Hayden and his curiosity. As I read it, I thought to myself that eventually that curiosity fades away and one day he may not be as apt to ask so many questions and I wondered if some parents take that time in their lives for granted...just a thought.

Jess said...

We try really hard to foster that curiosity and not stifle it. He asks SO many questions because he knows we'll answer them, and I hope he always knows that we want to teach him!