I started this blog to keep up with my feelings and thoughts, so I'd have something to look back on this time next year, and to keep friends and family updated. Most of my friends in the states don't have kids yet, so I also thought it would help for them to see what all this was like through the eyes of one of their most honest (even brutally so) and straightforward friends. So I'll just say it.
The concept of gaining weight is a difficult one to grasp. For the better part of ten years, it's what we've been trying to AVOID. I don't particularly have body image issues, I've never had an eating disorder, and I tend to carry around at least five extra pounds "for the winter" (year-round). But truthfully, the idea of gaining 25+ pounds is a little unnerving. That being said, I don't intend on "putting my baby on a diet" in the womb by not eating enough, because vanity is selfish. Weight can be gained and lost, and really there's no better reason to gain weight than for the specific purpose of nourishing a tiny, growing baby.
The whole "eating for two" concept has gotten radically out of hand, as far as I'm concerned. That suggests that even though my baby is currently the size of a kidney bean, I should be eating whatever I want, as much as I want "for the baby". Untrue. Granted, I do now eat at least four times a day, because pregnancy hunger is different from normal hunger. Anyone who knows me well knows what a cranky pants I can be when I'm not fed. Multiply that and intensify that, and that is hungry-pregnant-Jessica. When hunger strikes I need to eat immediately, or I feel sick. So my new philosophy has become "eat when you're hungry". Hey, it works.
1 comment:
Yay for 4th meals...or double meals like your breakfast here at my house this morning!! Who says you can't get a ham and cheese croissant combo AND french toast sticks and enjoy every last bite of it!!? Your baby says YES and so do I!! ;) Eat it UP lady!!!
Post a Comment