Monday, November 24, 2008

A baby story: Part III (going home!)

Tuesday morning came early, since Hayden doesn't really sleep much at night. Neither do I, and I want to look at him when he sleeps, so tired was the name of the game. I was so anxious to get home, it seemed like the day was dragging. When they came in at 6, luckily I didn't have to get out of bed since we'd be leaving that day. They told me the pediatrician would be there at 8:30 to see Hayden, so I waited until a decent hour (7am) to call Jay and tell him when to be there. He had been up most of the night himself, doing his own "nesting" by doing dishes and vacuuming so the house would be ready for us.

I got us dressed and ready, leafed through my book a little while time draggggged on. Seriously, slowest morning of my life. Dr. Stadlbauer stopped by to give us some going-home rules (I did NOT know I still can't take a bath, what a bummer) and said he'd see us in 6 weeks for my postpartum appointment. The nurse finally came to get Hayden to see the pediatrician a little after 9, and Jay had just called to say he was on the way. I wheeled Hayden down the hall and met the pediatrician. He had to do an ultrasound to check both of his hips, and I know how cold that gel is, so it was no surprise that Hayden howled and howled. I have a feeling I will NOT be any good at consoling him when he gets shots, as I will need Valium to just get through it. What a terrible sound, to hear your baby wail like that. He checked his circumcision, looked him over and we were all done.

We got back to the room and Jay was waiting for us. We packed up, and headed upstairs to "check out". For a decent sized hospital, I was surprised that there was only one person working to sign people out. We waited about 15 minutes, then I went in to finish up the paperwork and head on out. We took our little man to the car, strapped him into the carseat, and were on our way. I sat in the back to watch him, while Jay drove at an unusually slow speed for him. Babies make you more careful drivers, that's for sure. We got home, laid Hayden in his playpen (it has a little bassinet attachment that is AWESOME) and sat on the couch, just taking it all in. I have never been so happy to be home (though my run-ins with Space A travel come a close second), and was so grateful for my little family. All that was left was Oscar, but we decided to give ourselves a day to get used to Hayden at home before adding him to the picture. Besides, he never minds an extra day at the farm!

No comments: