Monday, January 19, 2009

2-month check up

This morning was Hayden's 2-month check-up. He woke up early, around 7 and wasn't quite ready to go back to sleep so we headed downstairs. We watched a little Sports Center, and I realized little man needed a diaper change. I picked him up and found that he had leaked out a bit, so I took off his onesie and changed his diaper. I put him in his bouncy seat in his diaper and socks so I could wash my hands. By the time I came back, he was fast asleep! Silly boy.

We went to his doctor's office, which is in the hospital where he was born, just around the other side. We checked in and headed to the VERY full waiting room. There were about 12 kids in there, so Jay headed outside and around the corner to get a doner (our favorite downtown snack, sort of like a gyro). We waited about a half hour before they called us in. Hayden is up to 12 lbs 8 oz, 22 inches long and had a normal temperature. She poked and prodded, squeezed and examined, and he's good to go! He's holding his head up well and his reflexes are all appropriate for his age. They are definitely matter-of-fact here in Germany, which is maybe why Europeans don't seem to have the same sense of entitlements and whatnot that Americans do. They didn't tell me his percentiles, which they do at the clinic, but everyone wants to brag about numbers it seems in the states. As for Hayden, he's healthy and normal, and that's all we need to know! He doesn't seem to mind the rectal thermometer but throws a fit when you look in his ears. I could have told her that, we fight when I clean his little outer ears after a bath. Picky boy.

Next up, shots! No one is excited about them. I did decide for his next check up I want to take him in a bubble. So many germy little kids! For the most part the kids looked pretty healthy, but they were all over the floor and playing in toys, hands in mouths and whatnot. And there was one kid who kept scratching his head pretty furiously so I was certain he had lice. But Hayden seemed to come through just fine, in fact, he slept through the loud wait and didn't wake up until I took him out of his car seat to be examined.

We're still working on the sleep thing, but he did sleep about five hours the other night without waking up to be fed. For a baby that wakes up every two to three hours to eat, this was a welcome surprise! He seems to be going a little longer between feedings now, but still growing so I think we're getting the hang of it.

1 comment:

Nick D said...

I love Hayden's passed out picture. Looks like he had a rough night or something, and he's not even 21 yet! Geez Rogers!