Saturday, December 19, 2009

I'm from NC, I can't drive in the snow

That's right, the east coast of the US isn't the only place getting snow. We have our fair share here as well. Which is unfortunate for several reasons. The biggest is that Hayden is sick. He had a fever yesterday of 101.3 so I started the motrin/tylenol alternating routine around 130pm. At 5 his fever was down to 99.8 so I felt pretty good about it. Then he woke up from his nap and felt hot, so I checked and we was back up to 101.6. I tossed him in the tub to cool him down and when he got out, he was up again to 102.1. This was the first time his digital thermometer hit the "red zone" in the color coding system, so I decided to take him to the hospital to have him checked out.

Where we live when there's any kind of medical issue after our health clinic's normal hours, we go to the hospital. There's only one that will see children, so that's where we headed. It's a short drive but the snow definitely slowed us down. We decided to park in the deck to avoid some three-point-turning on a hill in the snow, a decision I later regretted. We went into the peds ward and were seen pretty quickly. His lungs were clear, his fever was down some and he didn't have any other signs of ear infection or the flu, so they sent us home. Lucky for us, because usually they keep you overnight to be safe. It took us longer to get out of the parking lot than it did in the hospital thanks to one closed ticket taker at the exit, near impossibility of navigating my American car in a European parking deck, and somehow having to drive through TWO levels of snow-covered lots to get out. How is that possible? I'm still not sure.

Last night was a very long night, as Hayden only slept an hour or two at a time. He kept waking up with his stuffy nose and had a hard time breathing. His fever went up and down and he didn't feel like eating much but he did drink his milk. I haven't had this little sleep since he was 5 months old! We've spent the day napping, cuddling, and pumping him full of saline every chance he'll let me to clear his nose. His humidifier is working overtime, and poor Oscar is worried about him. It seems to be all just a nasty cold, and we're hoping a few days at home with some extra love will have him better in no time. For now, he's still pretty miserable and that's tough on both of us!

Snow is mainly a problem because I hate the cold and refuse to drive in the snow unless absolutely necessary. I'm from North Carolina, that is the extent of our snow driving teaching...just don't do it. So for now, we aren't! I'm hoping for a little warm up tomorrow so I can run to the commissary but I'm certain I won't find any milk!

No comments: