Most of my friends that read this blog have kids, are pregnant or are considering being pregnant at some point. So in the interest of full disclosure and honesty, I thought I'd make you my own top ten list of things that are not so great about being pregnant.
Disclaimer: All of the unpleasantries of pregnancy are immediately outweighed with every kick, ultrasound, heartbeat and very existence of little Hayden. But let's be honest, some of this 40-week gestational period isn't so fun!
10. I can't wait to fit back into my normal jeans and bras.
9. I miss brie, gorgonzola, feta and all the other soft, unpasturized cheeses I can't eat.
8. I get up to pee at least four times at night...in eight hours, even if I haven't had anything to drink.
7. Acid reflux. It's always there, mainly when I don't eat. It has replaced its sibling, heartburn, so at least I can eat spicy food.
6. Prenatal vitamins make my hair and nails grow much faster, which means I have to cut them both much more frequently to avoid looking like Teen Wolf's sister, or at least second cousin.
5. The effort it takes to get out of the car and out of bed is mind boggling!
4. The emotional roller coaster is under control, but still exists. Those of you familiar with my personality know that bursting into tears over a shirt not fitting is not how I operate.
3. Hayden's little kicks have turned into full-scale war on my insides. Lately he likes to roll a limb (not sure if it's a leg/foot or arm/fist combo) from one side of my belly to the other, and it's weird!
2. Lower back pain. All the time.
1. Wine. Red, white, sparkling...all of it that I can't have. Technically (especially in Europe) the doctors say you can have a glass and be fine, but I figure "better safe than sorry" is a good approach.
In a few months, I'll counter this post with a top ten (or twenty) things I love about being a mom, I'm sure. But for my pregnant friends who worry that having negative thoughts about the short-term effects of the baby on their body and mind, and for my friends who want a realistic view of what it's like, this is for you!
1 comment:
I am sorry about your pangs of pregnancy! Our little girl is constantly on my bladder during the day. Not so much at night any more but I hear that comes back in the third trimester. I am 21 weeks tomorrow and I still love every minute of being pregnant! I am starting to feel Cameron more and more and loving it! I hope all is well and can't wait to hear more news of your pregnancy!
Post a Comment