Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A good day

There are good days and bad days during a deployment. Yesterday appeared to be a bad one. Nothing earth-shattering, just one of those days. I left my house at 10:15am and it takes about 12 minutes to get to work. So imagine my surprise when I was still sitting at the gate to get on post at 10:55 am. I finally got through the lights, the gate and was headed to work when I realized there was NO parking. Anywhere. Not close to, not far away from the bank. Not ANYWHERE. I drove around post for another 10 minutes before I finally found a spot outside of a maintenance bay that's about a 4 minute walk from the bank. Of all days, this is when I decided not to be a slave to the snow and wear cute shoes. An unfortunate decision, since I had to walk four minutes in the snow to get to work. And it turned out to be unfortunate again when that afternoon I had to walk QUICKLY to my car to avoid towing. It may have been an idle threat from the MPs, but I definitely did not need to deal with that. I had a parking ticket, which we don't pay for if it's on post; it just goes to our commander. I called Staff Duty to give them a heads up on the ticket, and to protest its validity. Situation is as of yet unresolved.

It had been a long day, but I did have a fun evening to look forward to. I made a cheesecake Monday night and before I left for work, I put a spinach lasagne in the crock pot. I came home to a delightful smelling stairwell and a silly baby boy. A few girls from work came over and Erica brought a fabulous strawberry-spinach salad with her homemade dressing, and we were in heaven. After dinner we played a few rounds of Scattergories with some hilarious results, and started to teach some of the girls to play Spades. Our game was interrupted by an unexpected phone call from Jay, which was awesome! I hadn't talked to him in a week or so, and it was really nice to hear his voice. Hayden woke up to play with the girls for a few minutes, and was in a super snuggly mood. It's amazing how quickly a day can turn around thanks to good friends, great food and a wonderful family.

1 comment:

Eve said...

I wish we lived closer together....you being in Germany obviously makes that pretty hard:) Glad things are going well with work and that your little man is doing great with everything.