Today was one of those great days you kind of want to last a lot longer. Until you realize that 6am is coming quickly and with a vengeance. Thursdays are late days at the bank, where we have extended hours until 6pm for people to do banking after normal hours, but we also get to come in late! Which means I "slept in" until 8am. Last night I had some girls over for dinner and a movie and Hayden was just a handful so we needed some sleep. I got to shower at a nice, leisurely pace and wasn't rushing Oscar to do what he needed to so I didn't have to choose between straightening my hair or eating. I even finished ironing before Hayden woke up. And then the tantrum started.
Hayden threw himself into a full-on tantrum about five minutes after waking up. I think it started when I dared to change his wet diaper. When he gets out of the crib, he doesn't care to be immediately laid back down for a diaper change, but today he was really angry about it. It went downhill from there, and pretty soon I had a screaming, red-faced, floor-pounding toddler on my hands. He didn't want to eat, drink, be held, be put down, be consoled or left alone. What's a mom to do? Well after all that...nothing. I waited. A few minutes later, he was my little boy again.
Just as I pulled up to daycare, our travel agency called me to confirm that our trip was finally booked! We are going to the Netherlands for Easter weekend. We are going to see the tulips at Keukenhof Gardens and exploring Amsterdam. Yesterday I found out we "made the cut" for the Spouses' Retreat in Garmisch at the end of next month, so April is shaping up pretty well. I also had TWO emails from Jay today, which kind of makes it a million-dollar day.
After work I picked up some groceries, picked up Hayden and headed home. Hayden talked the entire way home, looking out the window and pointing at various things he saw. When I walked in the door, Oscar was so excited to see me and I just knew the three of us needed a good long walk. The weather has been beautiful so we took advantage of it and headed to the field. Hayden had a blast throwing rocks for Oscar (well, dropping them) and Oscar had a blast running free for a bit. I hope the weather keeps up, it has really lifted our spirits lately.
Once I got home with my tired boys, we assumed our night routine of playing, eating, bath time, medicine for ear infection (which is no longer an act of Congress), teeth brushing, stories and bed time. We're gearing up for another busy weekend, but at least we're staying in the country.
No comments:
Post a Comment