Any mom will tell you, having a sick child is the worst thing in the whole world. They're sad, they're miserable, you're helpless. Recipe for disaster. Last week Lila got sick for the first time. She wasn't acting sick: no fever, eating and sleeping well. But she woke up with some green goo in her eye. Having dealt with this with Hayden a number of times, I wasn't too worried but decided to take her in just to be sure. It would happen to Hayden when he was congested, and we always left with saline, saline, saline. We went to the doctor, who was as surprised as I was to discover that Lila bean had a double ear infection! We left with a prescription of amoxicillin and I stayed home with Lila the rest of the day. Happy as ever, I told her I think she faked it to keep me home from work!
A day passed without incident, Lila eating, sleeping, taking her medicine.
On Friday, I was wrapping up my massage (my mother's day gift) when Jay called. Daycare called - Lila has a 101 fever and is showing symptoms of hand-foot-mouth. We called the doctor on the way there and got her in for a quick appointment. When we got there, her fever was gone. The doctor said she did not have hand-foot-mouth, just possibly something viral and to keep a check on her. If her fever was gone and she was eating, nothing else we needed to do. Plus side: her ears were much better!
We left feeling pretty good about everything and headed to Chick-Fil-A for Hayden's Friday treat. We were in the middle of a monsoon-like storm, and all ended up drenched from head to toe. Except Lila, who was in her car seat and only ended up with a wet foot or two. That night, things went pretty well but she wasn't sleeping all that great. And then, one of the times she woke up to eat, as soon as I sat her up she threw up everywhere. :-( On Saturday, she just wanted to be held so I happily snuggled with her. After her nap we went to the grocery store and were surprised that she slept halfway through our outing. When she woke up, we got really worried. She was just so listless and lethargic and SAD. Just sad. Heartbreaking. She took a nap on my chest, something she hasn't done since she was 4 weeks old, but as we got more sleep and more feedings into her, she started to perk up.
Sunday morning she woke up good as new! No fever, no sad baby face, just my hungry hippo. We're still finishing up the antibiotic, but it seems like we're on the road to recovery!
No comments:
Post a Comment