Thursday, October 27, 2011

House pics: The Before Edition

Our house has a really interesting layout. The first floor has the living room, eat-in kitchen, dining room, half bath, exit to the deck, entrance from the front door and exit to the garage. Simple. The second floor is actually sort of a floor and a half, thanks to the placement on a hill. The flight up stairs leads you to the master bedroom (with master bath), guest bedroom and laundry nook. Then another small half flight of stairs takes you up to Hayden's room, baby's room and their bathroom, along with a linen closet. This picture is from the baby's room looking down the half flight of stairs, with the master bedroom on the right and one of TOO MANY windows to clean on the left. Hayden LOVES stairs so he's super excited to be at the top of them all so he can boom-boom down them.

I love our guest bedroom. It's actually bigger than the master in some ways, but will double as our office as well. Because of the layout, we have a ton of crawl space upstairs that can be accessed through three small doors (house-elf sized) in the guest room. Our first three nights in the house, we actually slept in the guest room because it was the easiest room to set up. We had the bed, the tv, the end tables over in a flash and Jay set them up so we could sleep. We enjoyed a little tv in bed (which we haven't done since Germany!) and woke up to sun streaming in from that little half-moon window.

Our master bath has a separate tub and shower, which I adore. I am a huge bubble bath fan and though I can't take hot ones right now, I'm excited to use that tub! We also have double sinks, which is AWESOME. Jay and I are rarely getting ready at the same time except on weekends, but it's nice to be putting my makeup on at my sink while he's brushing his teeth at his, and not having to climb all over each other and drip water everywhere. The toilet is actually under repair right now, but I'm pumped to be able to walk a few short lit-by-nightlight feet in the middle of the night thanks to a little lady that loves to sit on my bladder. The walk-in closets are across from each other as you walk into the master, which means for the first time since we've lived together (2006) Jay will have his clothes in the same room as our bedroom!

This picture is from the hallway between the master and guest bedrooms, so you can get a better idea of the split second floor. You can see down into our living room, which has a gas fireplace (that needs to be revamped totally) and a ceiling fan (that currently serves its purpose but will be replaced when we have just a bunch of money sitting around, ha!). I realized I don't have a full-on picture of the living room except maybe on my phone. But you get the idea. We have hardwoods in the living room and the entry way, and mounted the flat screen on the nice long wall perpendicular to the fireplace. True to form, Jay set up the living room first (I think the NFL Pass from Direct TV *may* have been  a contributing factor) with the couches, steam cleaned rug, tv and dvds. We have a place to sit, even though the walls are still mostly bare. And he steamed the floors!

This is my formal dining room. I am so excited to have room for all my furniture! It is currently taped off in blue so Jay can paint it the "Fabulous Red" that he picked out. Monique is passing along a lovely light fixture to remove the 1990's gold and glass that resides there now. And all the furniture is placed smack in the middle of the floor to allow for painting, which makes meal time an adventure! I can't wait to see my new walls, my old Salem plates up on said new walls, and all of my pottery and china where it belongs, stored safely behind antique doors!

Ah, the kitchen. My sanctuary. The house had an oven (though missing the racks) and a dishwasher (ancient, but then again I got my first dishwasher in February) when we bought it. We knew we'd need a fridge and microwave so we shopped around. Lucky for us, Best Buy had a great deal on a whole kitchen worth of appliances (fridge, stove, microwave and dishwasher) and we were planning to replace the old ones so we bought the whole shebang. We eventually want new cabinets and countertops, but for now I'm REALLY enjoying my side-by-side fridge.

The bedrooms are kind of standard, other than the guest room, so I'll post pics when the furniture is in place and we have some things on the wall. Sort of our intermediate-after pictures. But for now, we're still moving (since we don't have to be out of the old place until November 15th) and painting and shuffling and figuring out where everything goes. But we're on our way!

No comments: