Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Here we go!

Well I have a lot of catching up to do in the blog world, but I have to be sitting at the computer with the pictures to update on Christmas so that will wait! For now, we'll just talk about our current crazy life.

We narrowly escaped another battle with strep for Hayden last week, after his Ped confirmed it was a virus. I was SURE we were ready for another round of antibiotics but luckily it was a fluke!

I had two weeks off of work (!) for the Christmas/New Year holiday and it was amazing. I had grand plans for what I was going to do to the house and for scrapbooking and cooking and whatnot. Instead? I napped. A lot. I got up every morning, took Hayden to daycare and came back and napped for at least two hours. And? I don't regret it a bit. My body definitely needed the catch-up and then I had some decent energy for the afternoon and evenings.

Two days before Christmas, we woke up to a strange power situation. We had power in half of the house, and nothing in the rest. Strange for sure! Jay tried all sorts of things with the breaker box, reset buttons in the bathroom, we tried unplugging things, etc. Nothing was working. I started my quest to find an available electrician...after 20 phone calls I was getting discouraged as no one was available before the Tuesday AFTER Christmas or even January 3rd! I finally got in touch with my uncle who got in touch with his electrician who confirmed that if half our power grid was out, it was a Duke Power issue. Relief! Especially since the half that was out included my stove! Luckily not the fridge or the living room lights, but the pilot for our gas (which meant no heat and no hot water!!). I called Duke Power and they sent someone out in about two hours. Turns out there were four houses on our side of the street in the same situation! But no one had called, because they all thought their Christmas lights were to blame. Oh, suburbia.

Hayden and I spent the evening in half darkness, half not as to fix the problem they had to continuously cut ALL the power. After an eventful day, our power was back to full working order by about 2am on Christmas Eve. Just in time for me to bake for my neighbors, finish wrapping and bake Santa's cookies!

I've had doctor's appointments every two weeks to check on the progress of our Lila Bean, and she's doing just fine! Measuring right on track, and after my next appointment I start going EVERY week. Yikes. It's a lot of fun to hear her heartbeat and at our last appointment as soon as the doc asked "Is she moving well?" she responded with a giant kick. She already speaks for herself! No signs of coming early but I'm just past 35 weeks so we're okay with her staying put a bit longer!

This week starts Spring classes for Jay, which will be a horse of a different color. This time he's taking classes in the evening (after 5) so he can stay at home with baby girl once she gets here and I have to go back to work. By summer, he'll have both kids during the day and work at night (since he doesn't need any classes this summer). A definite change from the last time we had a baby and I was a stay at home mom with an Army husband! But I'm really excited for the relationships that develop between babies and caregivers at early stages, and that Jay gets to experience that this time around. We've mostly figured out when he'll sleep but not quite sure when he'll get to eat!

Christmas and house updates to come...

No comments: