Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Crock Pot Chili

New year, no new resolutions. Every day is a day to turn good into bad, and to break a habit right? I figured in the third trimester and in the first six mortgage payment, just getting through it is enough.

However. This week and next are crazy at work, where I have to be there early and don't leave until late. Late as in 7pm. Normally we eat dinner by 6 so Jay can be out the door before 7, so this is a definite uproot for us. Luckily it doesn't last forever. So I've tried to be better about planning meals the weekend before and Sunday night I put dinner in the crock and put it in the fridge. Jay and Hayden were both home yesterday, so I knew Jay could just pull it out and turn it on around lunch time since I most likely wouldn't be home. Chili turned out to be the perfect meal, as the temperature dropped 20 degrees yesterday and it officially felt like winter! Chili is simple but also easy to make boring, so I tried a few new things this time. For once, it was a huge hit for all three of us!

1 lb of stew meat (lightly seasoned with garlic, salt and pepper; not cooked)
2 cans drained kidney beans
2 cans tomatoes (not drained, I used chopped with basil and oregano)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can tomato paste/1 can water
Garlic, salt, pepper to taste
few dashes cayenne
Hot sauce

Low for 4-5 hours, stir to blend after 2-3 hours. It came out PERFECT! The stew meat gave it a complete different texture and the paste helps thicken it up nicely. I serve it with cheese, sour cream and usually cornbread but last night we were breadless. No one seemed to mind

No comments: