I will admit, Friday was a challenge in a different way. I am SO ready to be over with my period and doing this challenge in a different mindset with different chemical balance in my body and hormones I hate to "blame it" on that but truly it makes a difference in how I feel, what I want to eat and my motivation to be successful. I did wake up feeling pretty great after my cleanse day, which I think I missed the last challenge. I just seemed to wake up feeling starving instead of refreshed. This time I had energy, I had positive feelings and I wasn't dying to eat.
It started off fine, my usual morning routine. I met a friend for a visit in the morning at the MOST delicious smelling pastry shop. Everything was carbs/fat/flaky goodness so I resisted for the most part. After being there about an hour, I really needed a snack and didn't want to go off the rails, so I got a spinach/bacon/mozzarella croissant and split it. I figure the challenge for me this time is to reset and get back on track, so I've been less rigid with the program. In hindsight, next week needs to be much more rigid. But it was delicious!
I got to work kind of in a funk, just because there is much to do and little time in which to do it. I would have rather spent half the day at the gym. There's something freeing about it, and I hate sitting at a desk staring at projects some days. But this weekend I plan to do some work from home to put me in a good, caught up place so I feel less overwhelmed at work. This was the part of the day I really, really just decided I wanted a ham sandwich. I didn't want to drink my lunch today, I wanted something not super terrible for me but something I could chew. I pretty much was just feeling sorry for myself and trying to do some emotional eating.
I run my day pretty close to the chest on time, so I'm essentially always rushing somewhere because I left myself JUST enough time to get there. This day I had a presentation just across the way at the Academy, and went to the cafe with just enough time to eat. I ordered my sandwich, mentally vowed to eat only half of it and waited. And waited. And waited. And then it was time to go do my presentation, so I got my money back and left. It was a disappointment for sure, but I had a job to do.
After my presentation, I was really conflicted about what to do next. Should I go try again to get my sandwich? Should I go back up to my office with the pretense of drinking my shake to go to the gym, knowing that once I get up there I probably won't get to leave to actually GO to the gym? Do I just go to the gym? Well wait I can't do that, I haven't eaten lunch and I know my workout will fail early on an empty stomach. I kind of just sat in my car for a few minutes.
I looked around and realized I had an empty, clean shaker cup in my car thanks to my visit with my friend who returned it that morning. I had left it in her car WEEKS ago and we finally met up so I had it on me (the one I planned to use that day was upstairs at my desk). My lunch bag was upstairs with my shakes and supplements; but look at that, my purse was in the car and it had one shake. Last hurdle, water. I had exactly 8 oz in my water bottle! Okay fine, universe. I mixed up my shake and headed to the gym. With 11% battery on my phone for a workout I hadn't studied yet. JUST DO IT.
I spent a few minutes letting my food digest and then watched my videos for the exercises. I started to get really excited because I knew how to do most of them and was excited about the opportunity to do some new ones. Turned on my music and got to work. I had a rare tank top in my bag, I rarely work out in shorts or tank tops (body image, working on it) but it was serendipitous that I had a shirt that shows off my arms on a day I'm working only upper body! I got to see the progress for myself in how far I've come, but also by the end of the workout how much I had worked those muscles! My gym time has come to be really therapeutic and I love to see my progress.
I went back to work for the end of the day with a renewed faith in myself, in the program, and a TON of energy. I may not have hit all the goals for the day, but I finished strong and loved my workout. I took that momentum and registered for Camp Gorgo this summer, a fitness camp run by many of the coaches I'm working with. I'm nervous to step out of my comfort zone, but I'm excited about the possibility of new friends, new experiences, learning new things...and a weekend away. In July. In Kentucky lol.
I got home from work and my plan was eat leftovers or go out to eat. We ended up watching some basketball before we left, so I was pretty hungry when we finally sat down. I knew I wanted chicken, no matter where we went. I needed a big giant piece of a white meat protein! We went to a steakhouse so I had some pretty good options. I ended up getting a mesquite grilled chicken with sweet potato and salad. I'm proud to say I resisted the delicious-smelling-but-carby-drenched-in-butter yeast rolls and skipped the in-shell peanuts on the table. I had a small salad but went light on the dressing; my chicken came with rice AND sweet potato so I ate some of the rice, a bite or two of the potato and ALL my chicken. My family devoured a banana creme pie but I skipped it, and it was gone so quickly I didn't have time to think about it! Ha!
I mostly felt good about my day, and tried not to dwell on the negative. I'm hoping for a successful weekend and a big prep day Sunday so I feel more successful starting the week off.
No comments:
Post a Comment