Thursday, May 21, 2015

Day 9: ROCK your life

Today was a good day in the gym and in my eating habits! The water is going down, the weights are going up, the sweat is running down and the heart rate is going up. I continue to be excited for "after"...for the habits I hope to keep after June 11, the progress I can make after I'm not mentally and financially committed to a 30-day challenge.

Tonight I rushed home right after work (gym was at 4) and made some delicious turkey burgers for dinner. I usually skip the bun and cheese anyway so this isn't a big meal adjustment for me. I was DYING for a good turkey burger with tzatziki sauce (the only thing I've ever actually used plain nonfat Greek yogurt for) so I whipped some up. My garlic salt comes FLYING out of this new container so it was a little grainy and more salty than I wanted. But I'll try again! I also tried out Perrier Sparkling Water with grapefruit. Ironic, since I enjoy neither sparkling water nor grapefruit, but I was fighting a juice craving. It's not bad! It's not my favorite, but a good alternative to juice and soda.

The reason I rushed home was because we had a check-in call at 7 and I wanted to be done with dinner and ready for it. So I was. And then I discovered I read it wrong and it was in fact at 8. So that gave me time to shower and get settled in before our call at 8.

Our call is like a webinar, where we can see and hear Erica (our Sisters in Shape coach) and we can chat with her and each other via text box. So it was a good check-in and place to ask questions, but also a great motivator! We were through week one so we had a good handle on the meal plan, the exercises, the routine. So this call was a challenge, to ROCK our workouts this week. Erica used the work "rock" as a verb, but also an acronym. For the Reason we're doing it (do you know why you're doing this challenge? Have you told someone about it to help keep you accountable?); the Opportunity we have (both physically and mentally but also financially if we're interested in joining her team); Change (look at the changes we've already made and how we can make them lasting habits); and KILL the voice. This was my favorite! Kill the voices that tell you "you don't have time for this", "you'll never be able to do this", "you're not strong enough". Erica shared some of her story with us and it was so nice to hear things coming from a REAL person; not a sales and marketing standpoint, not a "buy my book and products" person, not someone who was single, independently wealthy, without kids, etc. She's so real and honest and that is a big part of why I feel like I can do this challenge. She's not judgmental, she's compassionate and she knows where many of us are coming from as we began this challenge.

I'm not into motivational speakers. It's not my thing. But there was something about our call that was super uplifting and made me want to be successful. Something about women supporting each other, even when we have different goals and are in completely different places. And really, something about perfect strangers lifting each other up instead of so much of the tearing down you see these days. I'm pumped for the rest of this week and this challenge!

No comments: